Pages

9.11.2013

Pinterest Project

My first pinterest project...it turned out pretty well I think.
For the favours that I had for J's bridal shower, I decided to go the DIY route and make something that was in line with the theme of the shower, but also something that I would be able to make for a small(ish) price.

Enter the Teacup Candle.


So on a whim one day, I decided to trek around town going to all the different thrift and consignment stores to find 20 antique teacups that wouldn't cost me a ton of money.
On average the teacups cost around $2.
I saw this original project on pinterest but couldn't find the original pin so I kind of just winged it when I went to the craft store looking for wicks and wax.
If you are going to attempt this project, do not wing it haha.
Make sure you ask an employee at the store to help you out, because apparently not all wax is the same and not all waxes are compatible with all wicks.
Surprising...I know.

Cover everything in newsprint...makes clean up so much easier and the wax doesn't soak through as easily as paper towel (and yes I learned that the hard way).

So my first attempt to melt wax (when I finally bought the right kind) was a complete failure...what pinterest project isn't without its hurdles.

I originally tried to melt said wax in a paraffin wax 'crock pot' that my mum had from a while ago.  


This did not go well...I left it over the weekend (almost 3 days) and it still did not melt 



So the first step was that I dipped the bottom of the wicks in the partially melted wax in order to help the wicks stay in the middle of the tea cups.  While this step worked, next time I make these I will definitely be buying prepackaged wax dots to skip this step.







The photo underneath shows the candles I tried to make with the partially melted wax...there were tons of bubbles and it pretty much looked like crap.



So I googled how to conjure up a makeshift double boiler...while this may sound dangerous, it really wasn't (although I wish I had a bigger can for melting the wax.

You take a regular pot and fill with a couple inches of water, maybe 1/4th full
Then place a tin can, something that you have no problem throwing out...I used an old coffee can
Place a good amount of wax in the tin and stick a thermometer in it...don't fill it up to the top, I put about half a can of wax in the tin, waited until half of it melted and then added more.
I used a candy thermometer but that's because that is the only one I had on hand.  

**Make sure that you don't let the wax get above 300 degree C (wax can be tempremental, and do not melt it in the microwave unless you hate your kitchen and want your microwave to explode)**

I kept my wax around 180 - 200 degrees C





Once you have your wax melted, fill your containers until they are about 3/4th full
*I used one of those little plastic cups that come with protein/smoothie powders...use something you don't have a problem throwing out afterwards*
Leave about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch from the wax to the top of the container.
The next step is to let them sit for awhile before you poke holes in them.
The reason you poke holes in them is because you are releasing the air pockets that have been trapped below the wax.
To cover up the holes and dips etc that randomly happen, you take a small amount of wax and 'cap' the top of the hardened wax.
This is why you left some room after originally pouring the wax into your container.



One of the pictures I can't find is where I had out all the chopsticks that my parents had.
The chopsticks were laid on top of the containers and held the wicks in the middle of the teacup while the wax hardened.




the aftermath of my project...wax was literally everywhere


For my first pinterest project I think it turned out fairly well.
There are obviously things I would do differently next time but I think they make wonderful gifts, and they are inexpensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment